By hiring licensed contractors in the state of California clients have an added level of security in making sure that their project is properly executed. To qualify for a license, a contractor must verify four years of journey-level experience in the trade, pass both a trade and license law and business examination, and post a license bond. Since 2005, all new contractors have been required to pass a criminal background check. Contractors are required to put their CSLB license number in all advertisements. Ask to see the contractor’s plastic pocket license and photo identification.
The Contractors State License Board recommends that consumers take the time to Prescreen Contractors by doing the following:
- Hire only licensed contractors.
- Get at least three bids and check references and recent projects
- Check the contractor license number at www.cslb.ca.gov or 800.321.2752
- Ask to see the contractor’s pocket license and a current photo ID
- Ask whether the contractor carries workers’ compensation insurance for employees and general liability insurance.
- Try searching your contractors’ name online for additional reviews, but consider the source.
- Make sure the contractor gives you an estimate in writing and the contract lists his/her name, contractor license number, address and phone number.
- For residential contracts – Pay no more than 10 percent down or $1,000, whichever is less.
Also bear in mind that unlicensed operators are required to include in their advertisements that they are not state-licensed and can only perform work valued at less than $500.
About DPT Construction of Los Angeles
DPT Construction has vast construction experience in office build outs of any kind (including medical & dental). When you choose DPT Construction as your contractor, our staff will always make your needs a priority.
Contact us at (877) 349-6737 or www.dptconstructionca.com to discuss your next building project.